Oil & Gas Leasing
The IDL administers leases for State-owned land and minerals with oversight and approval by the Land Board.
Lands and minerals owned by the state endowment trust are leased to make money for specified endowment beneficiary institutions. The IDL also leases other State-owned lands, such as lands owned by the Idaho Department of Fish and Game, the Idaho Transportation Department, and public trust lands.
MAP: Active State oil and gas leases (pdf - 4 MB)
Oil and gas leases are offered through competitive bidding at oral auctions. Available lands are described in a tract list by legal subdivision with each tract having a designated tract number.
The minimum opening bonus bid is $0.25 per acre. The total bonus bid is the sum of the amount bid per acre times the acres in the tract. Successful bidders must pay the bonus bid, the first year's annual rental of $1.00 per acre, and the prorated share of advertising costs.
Annual rental for the remaining term of the lease is one dollar per acre per year. Starting in the sixth year a drilling penalty of one dollar per acre or unit per year is assessed if the lease is not producing or being drilled. The drilling penalty is in addition to the annual rental.
There is a 12.5 percent royalty on any oil and gas produced from the lease.
A $1,000 bond is required for exploration on each lease. The bond must be increased to $6,000 prior to drilling. An additional bond is required under the drilling permit, which is issued by the Idaho Oil and Gas Conservation Commission.
Seismic exploration on state land requires a permit from IDL prior to entry. The permit fee is $100 per mile if the land crosses contiguous tracts of state land; otherwise the permit fee is a minimum of $100 per section.
Future Oil & Gas Lease Auctions
May 18, 2017
Nomination period closes on March 17, 2017
October 19, 2017
Nomination period closes on August 18, 2017
Past Oil & Gas Lease Auctions
Next Oil & Gas Lease Auction
October 19, 2016
Public auction of 225 oil and gas leases
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the State Board of Land Commissioners of the State of Idaho, pursuant to IDAPA 20.03.16, will hold a public auction for State oil and gas leases on October 19, 2016 at the Department of Lands State Office in Boise.
Idaho Department of Lands
300 N. 6th St., Suite 103, Boise, ID 83702
Syringa North & South Conference Rooms
October 19, 2016
8:30 a.m. Bidder Registration Begins
9:00 a.m. Auction Begins
PARKING: Parking is extremely limited, with four visitor spaces available. Paid parking is available at lots and garages in the area.
- COMPLETE PACKET:
- Auction Notice - All Counties
- Map 1 | Map 2 | Map 3 | Map 4
- Tract List - All Counties
- Lease Stipulations
- Oil & gas lease template
- Guide to Split Estates in Oil & Gas Development
- ADA COUNTY: 23 leases offered
- Auction Notice - Ada County
- Map - Ada County
- Lease stipulations - Ada County
- BONNEVILLE COUNTY: 2 leases offered
- Auction Notice - Bonneville County
- Map - Bonneville County
- Lease stipulations - Bonneville County
- CANYON COUNTY: 82 leases offered
- Auction Notice - Canyon County
- Map - Canyon County
- Lease stipulations - Canyon County
- Tract list - Canyon County
- CASSIA COUNTY: 1 lease offered
- Auction Notice - Cassia County
- Map - Cassia County
- Lease stipulations - Cassia County
- GEM COUNTY: 31 leases offered
- Auction Notice - Gem County
- Map - Gem County
- Lease stipulations - Gem County
- PAYETTE COUNTY: 73 leases offered
- Auction Notice - Payette County
- Map 1 - Payette County
- Map 2 - Payette County
- Lease stipulations - Payette County
- Tract list - Payette County
- WASHINGTON COUNTY: 13 leases offered
- Auction Notice - Washington County
- Map 1 - Washington County
- Lease stipulations - Washington County