May 10 marks the date for required state burn permits

Tuesday May 3, 2022

Boise, ID – Severe fire seasons are increasingly the new norm in Idaho. This year, with drought declared in 34 Idaho counties as we head into the wildfire season, it is more important than ever that everyone do their part to prevent human caused fires.

As part of the fire prevention effort, closed fire season begins on May 10, which means Idahoans who live outside city limits must obtain a state fire burn permit from the Idaho Department of Lands (IDL) before starting debris burning activities. Closed fire season takes place annually between May 10 and October 20.

“The burn permit system reduces the number of false alarms and allowing fire crews to respond only when truly needed. Having a burn permit on record means fire managers can also respond more quickly to fires that escape,” said IDL Director Dustin Miller. “Obtaining a free burn permit can also potentially reduce the liability of the burner if their fire escapes.”

The burn permit is free of charge, good for 10 days after it is issued, and can be obtained online at Permits issued through the self- service website are available seven days a week and are immediately issued and valid. A permit may also be issued by calling or visiting an IDL office, phone numbers and addresses can be found at Permits are not required for recreational campfires.

IDL will not issue burn permits within districts where local burn bans are in effect. If there are other burning restrictions in effect or additional or alternate permits required, the burn permit website will provide instructions on how to contact those entities.  Information on burn restrictions based on air quality can be found by calling Idaho Department of Environmental Quality at (800) 633-6247 or by visiting

This year, thanks to a federal grant, IDL has some moving billboards to remind people to be cautious and prevent wildfire. A Coeur d'Alene Interagency Fire Cache truck and semi-trailer from the also have message with a QR code on the back that links to the burn permit webpage.

During the closed fire season, Idaho law (38-115) requires any person planning to burn outside city limits within Idaho, including crop residue burning, obtain a state fire burn permit.