Generating Revenue from Endowment Land
The Land Board and IDL have statutory authority to administer oil and gas leasing on approximately three million acres of land, as well as the beds of navigable waters which were granted to the state in trust at statehood in 1890. IDL also issues and administers leases for lands held by other state agencies, including Fish and Game, Parks and Recreation, and Transportation.
Revenue generated from leasing oil and gas resources on endowment land provides vital funding to the endowment beneficiaries, including Idaho’s public schools. Idaho’s constitution requires IDL to maximize the revenue generated from these lands for the beneficiaries.
Any individual, company or governmental agency that desires to extract oil and gas owned by the state must obtain an oil and gas lease from IDL.
IDL Minerals Leasing Program Manager
Boise Staff Office
Oil and Gas Leases up for Auction
This list includes specific parcels nominated and scheduled for auction.
- Lease Number: O600643 (Documents)
- Registration Deadline: Thursday, October 20, 2022 5:00 p.m. MDT
- Auction Date: Thurs, October 27, 2022 11:00am MDT
- Auction Location: 300 N. 6th St., Boise, ID 83720
- Term: 10 years
- Use: Oil and Gas
- Legal Description: T08N R5W Section 24 (53.61 acres)
- County: Payette
- Contact: Mike Murphy
Reserved Dates for Oil and Gas Auctions
This list includes dates reserved for auctioning parcels nominated for leasing.
- Registration Deadline: October 20, 2022 – 5:00pm
- Auction: October 27, 2022 – 11:00am
- Nomination Closing: October 14, 2022
- Tentative Registration Deadline: January 19, 2023
- Tentative Auction Date: January 26, 2023
- Nomination Closing: January 13, 2023
- Tentative Registration Deadline: April 20, 2023
- Tentative Auction Date: April 27, 2023
- Nomination Closing: April 14, 2023
- Tentative Registration Deadline: July 13, 2023
- Tentative Auction Date: July 20, 2023
Nomination Closing: July 14, 2023
Tentative Registration Deadline: October 19, 2023
Tentative Auction Date: October 26, 2023
Oil and Gas Royalty Audit
Lands and minerals owned by the state are leased to make money for endowment land beneficiaries. IDL requested auditing services to assess whether royalties paid for oil and gas produced from wells were in compliance with the governing statutes, rules and leases, and reflect accurate reporting made by the operator.